The reusable and washable air filters are very popular among domestic customers nowadays. Washable furnace filters can be cleaned or washed to clear away the dirt and other pollutants that have been stuck on them. After washing you may leave it for an hour to dry out.
BUYING GUIDE – HOW TO GET THE BEST WASHABLE AIR FILTER
Usually, the air filter of your HVAC is replaceable every one to three months. Beforehand give it a quick read for the best washable HVAC filters
First of all, before buying any filter you need to check the guidelines provided by your HVAC manufacturer. They mention the type of filter that is most suitable and fit for your AC system. You must use the filter that is precisely recommended by the manufacturer and according to the size of the slot to get the maximum efficiency from your HVAC system.
- MERV; Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value which measures how effective an air filter is good at capturing air particles. The effectiveness is measured in microns. They use a scale from 1 to 20. The lower number of MERV means less effectiveness and less efficiency of air filters, while a higher MERV rating means the filter is capable to capture tiny particles.
- A MERV rating between 1 – 4 can capture about 60% of large air particles. While a MERV rating between 5 – 8 shows its efficiency to capture 80% of large as well as small airborne particles. This is the most recommended MERV rating for the houses.
- Size is the most important thing. You’ll not be able to insert the air filter into the slot if the size does not correspond to the actual measurement.
- To know the size of your furnace/air filter, locate the filter slot and measure its length, width, and depth. You can measure this with an ordinary measuring tape. For example, a washable air conditioner filter that measures 20” x 18” x 1.5” means that it is 20” long, 18” wide, and 1.5” deep.
- Most of the reusable furnace filters come in sizes having rounded figures which are printed on the package. Your actual size must be near to the nominal size of the printed on the pack.
THE BEST WASHABLE AIR FILTER
1. TROPHY PLEATED ELECTROSTATIC AIR FILTER
- This premium electrostatic furnace filter is made of a quad-layer aluminum frame and has dual electrostatic media for better reliability.
- It is made of mesh wire and its size is 20 x 25 x 1 inch.
- Its MERV rating is 13 and compatible with most of the HVAC systems.
- This reusable pleated air filter is also capable to capture smaller particles.
This Trophy HVAC best washable furnace filter is made for Furnaces and ACs. It is manufactured by an American Company called Trophy Air. The air filter enhances your HVAC effectiveness and gives your home the needed ventilation efficiency.
- The air filter is noiseless even when it becomes dirty due to the blockage of allergens.
- All the edges of this aluminum framed air filter are quite dense and won’t bend even using for some months.
- The air filter has quick and easy installation and maintenance.
- Due to its aluminum frame, the air filter is durable and lasts long.
- The air filter is multi-directional and you can install it in either direction.
- The air filter may not capture the strong pet dander.
- The frame of the filter needs some screws to tighten it into the slot.
2. K & N HVAC FURNACE AIR FILTER
- This air filter is built to lasts a lifetime with strong galvanized steel backing and a solid frame for sturdiness.
- The synthetic Polymer material is used in this air filter.
- Its MERV rating is 11.
- The filter is capable to capture pollen smoke, dust mold, pet dander, smog, and more.
- Its size is 24.38 x 24.06 x 1.18 inches. However, available in multiple sizes and dimensions.
- The permanent air filter is easy to install, clean, wash and maintain. No special tools are required for its installation and maintenance.
For 50 years, K&N is the pioneer in the field of manufacturing filters for the automotive industry. This K&N washable HVAC air filter is designed to provide outstanding filtration. It has a white hard frame with a beige color filtration wall.
- The air filter is energy efficient and requires less energy as compared to disposable filters.
- Its synthetic polymer material provides an excellent airflow which enhances the efficiency of your HVAC system.
- The manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty but it varies from State to State in the USA.
- Due to this strong density and washing convenience, the filter holds for a longer time.
- Since the filter is made of synthetic polymer, some dirt sticks to the filter which is time-consuming to clean.
- Airflow is not as high as being advertised.
3. WEB ECO FILTER PLUS – AIR AND FURNACE FILTER
- The filter is made with triple-stage phase filtration protection, which is cost-effective.
- The first layer is made of nylon mesh material, while the other two layers are made of polyester.
- Phase 1 captures larger particles like dust, pollen and dander sized particles, the second layer smaller while the third layer attracts the remaining particles.
- The actual size of this reusable air filter is 30.6 x 25 x 4.8 (LxWxH) inches.
- The air filter provides a MERV 8 efficiency.
The company WEB Products Inc. started in 1989 to manufacture several types of air filters for the HVAC system. Their quality is excellent and can be the best choice for your home. This washable air conditioner filter is a high-efficiency filter and cost-effective.
- Its triple-phase protection is very cost-saving, as it is equivalent to 120 disposable filters.
- The filter is fully capable to capture pollen, dust, and pet dander size particles.
- This permanent filter is durable and lasts for a long time.
- Due to its 3-stage filtration, it has more airflow inside.
- Sometimes the filters are difficult to assemble.
- Since both sides are the same, it becomes difficult to follow the airflow label for putting back into the slot.
4. NORDIC PURE MERV 10 FURNACE AIR FILTER
- The inside material of this washable air conditioner filter is made of cotton.
- Its frame has hypoallergenic and antimicrobial pleated electrostatic filter material.
- Available in different sizes, but this particular model easily adjustable in the slot having size 25” x 16” x 1”.
- Its MERV rating is 10 which means it’ll collect more than 85% of contaminants up to 3 microns.
This is another one of the best washable electrostatic furnace filters, that is made in the USA. The Nordic Pure Company is manufacturing these air filters since 1960. The electrostatic charge technology is used in this furnace air filter.
- The reusable air filter provides heavy-duty air odor-fighting power including heat, cooking, laundry, and pets smell in the home.
- The air filter has multi-layers of carbon.
- The sizes are exact and more accurate than that of HVAC slots.
- The filters are too dense and fine due to cotton material, which sometimes can obstruct the airflow.
5. FILTRETE MPR 1500 FURNACE AIR FILTER
- This reusable air filter is made of fiberglass material.
- The exact dimensions of this permanent air filter are 23.81”x15.81”x0.78”. After rounding, the filter can easily be adjusted in a 24”x16”1” filter slot.
- The air filter is non-electrostatic and can easily be cleaned by water.
- Its MERV rating is 12 and compatible with most of the HVAC systems.
- It captures 54% of small particles like bacteria that carry viruses.
This brand is well-known for its high-class 3M technology. This 3-in-I technology design traps air particles and filtrates allergen, bacteria, and virus air filters capture unwanted airborne particles to provide a fresher home environment.
- This filter blocks the smallest airborne particles such as microbes, bacteria, smoke, sneeze, and cough debris.
- The air filter is certified as asthma and allergy-friendly.
- The washable air filter is also effective against dust, pollen or lint, etc.
- The filter is easy to install and maintain without much hassle.
- It may be a bit expensive.
- The filter can cause too high pressure on the electrical appliances.
The washable and reusable air filters are more efficient and effective as compared to disposable air filters. Such air filters not only save your money in the long run but also your time. But unfortunately, most of the people just install and forget to replace the air filters on regular basis. Otherwise, the filter may be blocked and you’ll not be able to get maximum efficiency from your HVAC system.
DISPOSABLE VS WASHABLE AIR FILTERS
Washable air filter lasts for years and always better than disposable filters. A washable air filter is a little bit expensive but in the long run, you can benefit from cost saving. The disposable filter seems to be more convenient and it is easy to throw away after using them.
But sometimes throwaway filters do not properly fit or adjust. A washable filter solves this problem instantly. Since you already have the correct size, the filter will always fit in the slot.
NOMINAL SIZE VS ACTUAL SIZE
Before buying washable HVAC filters, it is necessary to understand the difference between the nominal size and actual size of air filters. Nominal size is the labeled size that is printed on the package. This is the rounded figure size of the air filter.
Whereas the actual size is the true size of your air filter and might include a fraction number within the dimensions. The actual size may differ from the nominal size. The actual size will always be less than the nominal size and therefore, it’ll fit in your filter slot of the HVAC system easily.
FAQs – BEST WASHABLE AIR FILTER
Are washable air filters any good?
Yes, of course. If you buy washable air filters having a MERV rating above 10 then these are effective. The reusable air filters are efficient and cost-effective.
How often should you clean a reusable air filter?
The rule of thumb is to replace the reusable air filter after 3 months and wash, dry, and re-install it at least once a month. The washable HVAV filters are eco-friendly and if regularly cleaned and maintained, they last from 7 to 10 years.
Do electronic air filters work?
Yes, electrostatic air filters work fairly well. Due to their electrostatic characteristic, they give enough charge to attract and kill bacteria, germs, dust particles, pet dander, and other allergens.
Which air filter is the best?
Trophy Pleated Electrostatic Air Filter is our top pick. The air filter is easy to clean and maintain. This premium grade furnace filter is made of a quad-layer aluminum frame and has dual electrostatic media for better reliability. The inside material is made of mesh wire
Can you clean and reuse the air filter?
Washable air filters can be reused after proper cleaning and washing. But disposable air filters cannot be reused. They cannot be washed, because wetting a disposable filter makes it ineffective and inefficient.
How long do reusable air filters last?
Washable furnace filters last from 7 to 10 years, if cleaned, washed, and maintained on regular basis. In contrast, disposable filters need replacement after every 30 to 90 days depending on the quality and MERV rating. Normally a high-end quality air filter is equivalent to around 80 to 100 disposable filters.
Are washable furnace air filters expensive?
Washable air filters are not much expensive. You can buy them at a reasonable price of $40 to $100 depending on the brand, quality, size, and the number of air filters in a pack.
What is a micron?
Air particles indoors are measured in microns. A micron is 1/1000 of an mm. a human hair is about 70 microns wide.